From Routine Checkups to Advanced Treatment.
Porter Physician Group offers you and your family access to more than 65 physicians representing a variety of primary and specialty medical services. With 28 locations, you can be assured that quality care is always close to home.
Health Care Specialties
Evaluation & Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Our trained audiologists' goal is to evaluate and educate each patient about their hearing disorder. They will discuss the effect it has on daily living and review the best treatment options.
Available for infants, children, adolescents, adults and senior citizens, our audiologists and their staff work with the families of each hearing impaired individual to ensure they have the tools necessary to help their family member. The hearing specialists also work with the area school systems to provide support and accessories needed to help hearing impaired students in the classroom.
- Hearing Evaluations - We provide comprehensive hearing evaluations for all ages. These evaluations include: pure-tone audiometry, speech audiometry, impedance audiometry, otoacoustic emission testing and auditory evoked response testing.
- Hearing Aid Fittings - We offer a variety of hearing amplification devices from several manufacturers. Following your evaluation, we will work with you to decide the most appropriate listening system for your needs. Payment options are available.
- Hearing Aid Repairs - We are able to repair many hearing instruments in our office. If an out-of-office repair is necessary, we will send it to the manufacturer for that repair. This includes in-warranty and out-of-warranty repairs.
- Custom Ear Molds & Protection - We offer many different styles of custom ear molds for hearing aids and for many types of listening devices such as I-Pods and cell phones. If you require hearing protection or musician earplugs, we will discuss your options with you. Impressions of your ears are necessary for custom earmolds.
- Assistive Listening Devices - Amplified telephones are available in corded and cordless models, with or without caller ID or answering machines. We also carry an amplified phone that provides visual captions of what is being said. Other available assistive devices are amplified alarm clocks, telephone ringers, fire alarms and television amplifiers. Ask us about our loop systems that enable the hearing aid wearer to receive direct input from the television into the hearing aids.
From newborns all the way through geriatrics, your family physicians at Porter Physician Group provide you and your family a continuum of care.
- Well Babies & Children
- Teens & Adolescents
- Young Adults
- Adult Women – PAP Smears, Cardiovascular Health, Health Maintenance
- Adult Men – Cardiac Risk Assessment, Erectile Dysfunction, Health Maintenance
- Older Adults – Diabetes, Cardiovascular Health, Arthritis
- Behavioral Health – Anxiety, Depression, Relationship Issues
- Pulmonary Disorders – Emphysema, Asthma, Pulmonary Function Testing
The surgeons at Porter Physician Group are trained in the latest surgical techniques including open surgery, minimally invasive procedures and robotic surgery. From hernia repair, gallbladder removal and the surgical treatment of colorectal, esophageal, breast, head and neck cancers, the surgeons have experience you can trust.
At Porter Hematology-Oncology we treat patients with a variety of blood disorders, including anemia, lymphoma and leukemia, and coagulopathies among others. Treatments may include chemotherapy, medicines, nutritional counseling, transfusions, anticoagulant therapy, radiation or a combination of therapies.
From adolescents through geriatrics, the internal medicine physicians at Porter Physician Group provide you and your family a continuum of care.
- Young Adults
- Adult Women — PAP smears, cardiovascular health, health maintenance
- Adult Men — cardiac risk assessment, erectile dysfunction, health maintenance
- Older Adults — diabetes, cardiovascular health, arthritis
- Behavioral Health — anxiety, depression, relationship issues
- Pulmonary Disorders — emphysema, asthma, pulmonary function testing
At Porter Hematology-Oncology, we treat many types of cancers, including advanced stage and complex cancers. Our physicians can see you in their offices, which are in the Medical Plaza located adjacent to Porter Regional Hospital. For those needing chemotherapy or radiation, those treatments are done in the Cancer Care Center on the first floor of the Medical Plaza.
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine/Treatment
Osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), also known as osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT), is hands-on care, involving the use of the physician’s hands to diagnose, treat and prevent illness or injury. The physician moves muscles and joints using techniques such as stretching, gentle pressure and resistance. For people of all ages, the treatment can ease pain, promote healing and increase overall mobility. Often used to treat muscle pain, it can also help patients with problems such as asthma, sinus disorders, carpal tunnel syndrome, migraines and menstrual pain
Comprehensive Ear, Nose and Throat Care for the Entire Family.
The ENT physicians and audiologists at Ear, Nose, Throat & Sinus Center collaborate to ensure adult and pediatric patients receive excellent care for disorders of the head and neck. From advanced endoscopic sinus surgery, the treatment of snoring and sleep disorders, help with voice and swallowing disorders and the fitting and dispensing of hearing aids, our goal is to provide you with the most advanced care possible.
- Ear Infections - Children with persistent or recurrent ear infections may benefit from the placement of temporary tubes in the ear drums (tympanostomy tubes).
- Other Ear Diseases - With the assistance of our audiologists, we treat ear disorders causing hearing loss or ringing in the ears.
- Balance Disorders - Our team of physicians and audiologists work together to treat vertigo (dizziness) and other balance disorders.
- Nose & Sinus Disorders - Nasal and sinus disorders including recurrent sinus infections, nasal polyps, nasal tumors and deviated septum are evaluated and treated.
- Tonsils & Adenoids - Persistent or recurrent tonsil or adenoid infections may require medical or surgical treatment.
- Snoring & Sleep Disorders - Patients who snore and suffer from sleep apnea are treated with the latest techniques, including advanced surgical procedures if necessary.
Neck & Head Masses -In children and adults, any mass, nodule, growth or tumor of the head and neck should be evaluated.
Treating newborns through adolescents, our pediatric specialists at Porter Physician Group work to keep your child healthy and get them well when they are ill. We provide well-child checkups, annual immunizations, school and sports physicals and treat common childhood conditions.
The physicians at Porter Pulmonary-Critical Care medicine treat diseases of the lungs, airways and chest and care for very sick patients in critical care units.
From pediatric urology to treating diseases that affect the kidneys, urinary tract, prostate and male sex organs, men, women and children seeking treatment from Porter Physician Group urologists can expect expert care. With training in urologic surgery, our physicians are also using some of the latest and minimally invasive techniques available.
The cardiovascular physicians at Porter Physician Group provide healthcare to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and conditions of the heart and cardiovascular system, including the arteries. All of our physicians are board certified and have the excellent credentials and experience patients have come to trust.
Surgeries on heart valves or arteries can treat blockages, leaks or infections. Implants of mechanical devices or stents also require heart surgery. While traditional heart surgeries involve incisions along the length of the sternum, other options for patients meeting certain criteria include a partial incision along the sternum, small-incision surgeries and surgeries performed through endoscopy.
Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
This is the most Common type of heart surgery. Healthy arteries and veins, taken from other parts of the body, are used to bypass blocked arteries. It is performed on people with severe Coronary Heart Diseases (CAD).
Valve Repair or Replacement
Valve Repair or Replacement Surgery is used to repair the leaflets in the heat if they do not open-up wide enough or if they do not close tightly.
An arrhythmia is a situation where the heart either beats too fast, too slow or with an irregular rhythm. They are not always dangerous and can be treated with medicines. If medicine is ineffective, surgery is used to place a pacemaker or a defibrillator. Another type of surgery is Maze Surgery in which new paths are created for the heart’s signal to travel through.
Most general thoracic surgeries address problems with the lungs or esophagus, such as cancer removal, reflux disorders, tumors, hernias and emphysema. Other areas treated with thoracic surgery include the chest wall and the mediastinum – the area containing the heart, which is located between the lungs. Minimally invasive, small-incision procedures often allow for the diagnosis of problems in the chest cavity's organs, tissues and bones before proceeding to more complicated surgeries.
Mediastinoscopy is most commonly used to detect or stage cancer. It is also ordered to detect infection, and to confirm diagnosis of certain conditions and diseases of the respiratory organs
VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery)
During a video-assisted thoracic surgery procedure, a tiny camera (thoracoscope) and surgical instruments are inserted into your chest through several small incisions. The thoracoscope transmits images of the inside of your chest onto a video monitor. Compared with a traditional open operation (thoracotomy), video-assisted thoracic surgery may result in less pain and shorten recovery time.
Thoracotomy is the process of making of an incision into the chest wall (thorax). It allows examination of the condition of the lungs; removal of a lung or part of a lung; removal of a rib; and examination, treatment, or removal of any organs in the chest cavity. Thoracotomy also provides access to the heart, esophagus, diaphragm, and the portion of the aorta that passes through the chest cavity.
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
Abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery is used to fix a widened part (aneurysm) in the aorta. Repair of an AAA may be performed through an open incision or in a minimally-invasive procedure called endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR).
Carotid Artery Surgery
Carotid artery surgery is a procedure to remove plaque in the artery to restore proper blood flow to the brain. The surgery is called an endarterectomy.
Renal Access Surgery
Patients requiring dialysis due to renal (kidney) failure require vascular access to allow for easier and more efficient removal and replacement of blood. The three basic kinds of vascular access for hemodialysis are an arteriovenous (AV) fistula, an AV graft, and a venous catheter.
There is currently no description available for this specialty. Please check back soon.
An EEG is a recording of the electrical activity of the brain. The electrical activity is recorded as wavy lines on graph paper and examined by a trained physician.
An EEG can be used to evaluate: seizure disorders, stroke, infections of the central nervous system, degenerative disorders (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s Disease), head trauma, headaches,brain tumors
AEEG (Ambulatory Electroencephalogram)
An AEEG is a longer recording of an EEG that includes prolonged periods when you are both awake and asleep. This kind of recording is made by using a special recorder that is slightly larger than a portable cassette player. You wear it on your waist with the wires running under your shirt and go about your normal routine for up to 72 hours.
An EMG evaluates the nerve pathway by placing electrodes on the nerve and muscle endings on the hands or feet along the nerve pathway. During this test, the nerve is stimulated with a brief electrical charge, and then a neurologist places a tiny fine wire partially into the muscle to listen and watch if the muscle sounds and looks healthy.
This test evaluates: myopathy, carpal tunnel syndrome, myasthenia gravis, neck and back pain, peripheral neuropathy, radiculopathy, degenerative diseases, spinal diseases
VNG (Video Nystagmogram)
VNG is a sophisticated test of the inner ear and portions of the brain that can reveal certain abnormalities that will help your doctor understand the cause of your dizziness or trouble with balance.
Epley Maneuver (Canalith Repositioning)
Epley Maneuver is a treatment used to eliminate intermittent dizziness/vertigo of the positional type. This treatment repositions naturally occurring crystals in the ear that have become displaced and are causing a spinning sensation. This treatment is ordered after a VNG has been performed and indicates the diagnosis of BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo).
Vascular Lab Testing
Associates in Neurology’s Vascular Laboratory in Valparaiso has been granted a three-year term of accreditation in Vascular Testing by the Accreditation Commission (IAC). This three-year term is specifically in the areas of Intercranial Cerebrovascular. IAC - Intersocietal Accreditation Commission IAC Accreditation is a “seal of approval” that patients can rely on the Valparaiso Vascular Lab due to the fact that our facility has been carefully critiqued on all aspects of its operations considered relevant by a panel of medical experts in the field of Vascular Testing.
TCD (Transcranial Doppler)
TCD is an ultrasound used to evaluate blood flow characteristics of major blood vessels within the brain. TCD signals have been extensively correlated with angiograms and are accepted as reliable measurements of intercranial blood flow velocity.
CVR (Vasomotor Reactivity Study)
This study is used to assess the dynamics of blood flow within the brain. As a probe is held over a patient’s head, the patient is asked to hold their breath for 30 seconds. Blood flow measurements will be continuously assessed during these breath holding exercises.
This study utilizes non-invasive Doppler technology to assess blood flow within the head, specifically to look for the presence of microscopic blood clots within the blood flow of the brain.
Bubble Study (Emboli Detection with IV Injection)
This study utilizes non-invasive Doppler technology to screen for the presence of a heart defect that may be associated with strokes and TIAs. This study requires that a small IV be placed and a small amount of saline will be injected.
Directed and staffed by James Kozelka, MD, PhD, and Richard Strawsburg, MD, both of whom are board certified in Sleep Medicine, the sleep lab in Valparaiso is operated by Associates in Neurology and accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The physicians offer preventive, diagnostic and treatment options for a variety of sleep problems such as:
- Sleep Apnea
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
Sleep Lab Valparaiso | 2000 Roosevelt Road | 219-531-2670 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Cardiac electrophysiology is the science of understanding, diagnosing, and treating the electrical activities of the heart. Although the movement of blood through the body is the heart’s primary function, all of the beats are initiated and regulated by the electrical impulses within the heart. Sometimes called heart-rhythm specialists, Cardiac Electrophysiologists work closely with other cardiologists and cardiac surgeons to assist or guide therapy for heart rhythm disturbances (arrhythmias). They are trained to perform interventional and surgical procedures to treat cardiac arrhythmia such as cardiac ablation as well as the implantation of cardiac devices such as pacemakers, defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization devices.
- Atrial Fibrillation (Atrial Flutter/Atrial Tachycardia)
- Bradycardia (Slow Heart Rate)
- Heart Block/Electrical Block
- Tachycardia (Supraventricular/Ventricular)
- Ventricular Fibrillation
- Arrhythmias Secondary to Congenital Heart Disease